The Sacramental Preparation Program for First Communion is a 2-year program that begins in 1st grade. The sacrament is generally received in the Spring of the child’s 2nd grade year. The child must have received the sacrament of Baptism to receive their First Communion. Parents are the primary teachers of their children and Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish tries to provide opportunities for the parents to reflect upon their role, as well as assist them in making this a meaningful family experience as the student journeys to receive the sacrament of Communion for the first time.
The Family Faith Formation team, along with Father Bashista, Father Merkle, and Deacon Rob are here to support the families during this process.
Please continue taking your children to Mass and helping them understand how they are called to participate. Rewatch parts of
the Mass videos with them
from last year’s classes.
They are ALL on our K-12th Grade page
on this website under
Family Faith Formation.
For the 2023-2024 Holy Eucharist Preparation Program
Preparation for the sacrament of the Eucharist (First Communion) starts with enrollment in Family Faith Formation and completing the steps required for First Penance (Confession). This year families are using the on-line “My Catholic Faith Delivered” training while attending small group sessions every other Sunday with a facilitator. Meetings on preparation for First Penance (Confession) are held in the Fall 2023 and First Penance will take place in February, 2024. The parents and students will then attend two mandatory First Communion meetings to review the parts of the Mass and practice how to receive Communion. Parents will review how to prepare their child for First Communion. The students and parents will also need to attend the Holy Eucharist Practice in early May. Finally, the students will receive the sacrament of Holy Eucharist for the first
time on May 11, 2024. ** The meetings are mandatory for both the child and at least one parent to attend; but of course, both parents are welcome! **
First Communion Policies and Fees
- Those preparing for the Sacrament of First Communion must attend Mass regularly as well as an approved Family Faith Formation class. Refer to the Penance and First Communion schedule carefully and mark your calendar with important meeting dates.
- Please make sure that the Family Faith Formation office has a copy of your child’s baptismal certificate on file.
- Those receiving the sacrament of First Communion are required to attend our mandatory First Communion meetings on Sunday, March 3, 2024 and Sunday April 21, 2024.
- At least one parent needs to attend the First Holy Communion Rehearsal on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 from 5:00-6:00pm in the Main Church.
- For more information and details on dress code, please see our FULL First Communion Policies
Fees Include:Show More
Penance and First Communion Fees Include:
– Sacrament preparation materials for the students including a keepsake guide for making a good confession and Mass prayers and responses both for using before and after the sacraments of Penance and First Communion.
– Certificates for both sacraments (Penance and First Communion)
– Flowers and cantors for both sacraments
A reception and photographer who takes photos of each child receiving their
– First Communion and our group photo. We send a copy of these to each family.
– Stipends for 5 priests for Penance
Please contact our office if you cannot afford this fee.